Michael Brewer Court Docs: "Pour it On Him," Teen Said Before Alcohol-Soaked Boy is Lit on Fire
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (CBS/WFOR) New documents show details about the series of events that led a group of boys to set Florida teen Michael Brewer on fire.
Photo: Michael Brewer.
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reviewed documents with witness accounts saying 15-year-old Michael Brewer shook hands with the boy who would later order the attack on him.
According to police summaries taken from those witness accounts, Matthew Bent, 15, was upset with Brewer over $40 he said Brewer owed him for a video game.
Photo: Michael Brewer recovering in Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Nov. 2009.
Brewer agreed to pay him back and he shook hands with Bent. That's when Bent screamed out, "Wait, wait, wait. Come back here," Bent said. Bent ordered his friend Denver Jarvis to "pour it on him." He was referring to a bottle containing rubbing alcohol.
The Sun-Sentinel obtained the documents prosecutors sent to defense lawyers containing such details.
On Friday, Brewer underwent his second skin graft to repair the damage caused by a group of teens who set him on fire on October 12. He survived but suffered burns on 65-percent of his body.
Photo: Matthew Bent (left), Denver Jarvis (center) and Jesus Mendez (right) have all been charged with attempted second degree murder.
Two weeks ago, Michael's mother and Dr. Carl Schulman, associate director of the UM/JM Burn Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital, said the teen's condition was improving.
"All things considered," said Dr. Schulman, "he has extensive 2nd and 3rd degree burns and he is doing as well as he possibly can. He's going through extensive therapy and he's walking as well as he can. He's suffered extensive life changing burns that will require years of treatment and recovery over a lifetime."
Photo: Michael Brewer.
Schulman said Michael will need a few more major operations, months of intensive therapy and may even need treatment for the rest of his life, particularly regarding his back and arms.
15-year-old Jarvis, Bent, also 15, and Jesus Mendez, 16, have all been charged as adults with attempted second-degree murder. Authorities say they could face 30 years in prison if convicted.
Story Contributed to CBS Affiliate WFOR.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
December 7, 2009 - Michael Brewer, Boy Burned by Bullies, Gets New Skin Graft
November 25, 2009 - Michael Brewer Was "Best Friend" Says Boy Originally Accused of Helping Set Teen on Fire
November 20, 2009 - Michael Brewer's Parents: Boy Burned by Bullies Still Asks for Water to Douse Flames
November 11, 2009 - Michael Brewer Case: Mom Apologizes for Son Who Allegedly Set 15-Year-Old on Fire
October 23, 2009 - Michael Brewer, Boy Burned by Bullies, Getting Better
October 16, 2009 - Boy Burned By Bullies, Michael Brewer's Horrifying 911 Call
October 15, 2009 - Boy Burned by Bullies, Mother Says Michael Brewer Staying Strong
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home