Michael Brewer Court Docs: "Pour it On Him," Teen Said Before Alcohol-Soaked Boy is Lit on Fire
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (CBS/WFOR) New documents show details about the series of events that led a group of boys to set Florida teen Michael Brewer on fire.
Photo: Michael Brewer.
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reviewed documents with witness accounts saying 15-year-old Michael Brewer shook hands with the boy who would later order the attack on him.
According to police summaries taken from those witness accounts, Matthew Bent, 15, was upset with Brewer over $40 he said Brewer owed him for a video game.
Photo: Michael Brewer recovering in Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Nov. 2009.
Brewer agreed to pay him back and he shook hands with Bent. That's when Bent screamed out, "Wait, wait, wait. Come back here," Bent said. Bent ordered his friend Denver Jarvis to "pour it on him." He was referring to a bottle containing rubbing alcohol.
The Sun-Sentinel obtained the documents prosecutors sent to defense lawyers containing such details.
On Friday, Brewer underwent his second skin graft to repair the damage caused by a group of teens who set him on fire on October 12. He survived but suffered burns on 65-percent of his body.
Photo: Matthew Bent (left), Denver Jarvis (center) and Jesus Mendez (right) have all been charged with attempted second degree murder.
Two weeks ago, Michael's mother and Dr. Carl Schulman, associate director of the UM/JM Burn Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital, said the teen's condition was improving.
"All things considered," said Dr. Schulman, "he has extensive 2nd and 3rd degree burns and he is doing as well as he possibly can. He's going through extensive therapy and he's walking as well as he can. He's suffered extensive life changing burns that will require years of treatment and recovery over a lifetime."
Photo: Michael Brewer.
Schulman said Michael will need a few more major operations, months of intensive therapy and may even need treatment for the rest of his life, particularly regarding his back and arms.
15-year-old Jarvis, Bent, also 15, and Jesus Mendez, 16, have all been charged as adults with attempted second-degree murder. Authorities say they could face 30 years in prison if convicted.
Story Contributed to CBS Affiliate WFOR.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
December 7, 2009 - Michael Brewer, Boy Burned by Bullies, Gets New Skin Graft
November 25, 2009 - Michael Brewer Was "Best Friend" Says Boy Originally Accused of Helping Set Teen on Fire
November 20, 2009 - Michael Brewer's Parents: Boy Burned by Bullies Still Asks for Water to Douse Flames
November 11, 2009 - Michael Brewer Case: Mom Apologizes for Son Who Allegedly Set 15-Year-Old on Fire
October 23, 2009 - Michael Brewer, Boy Burned by Bullies, Getting Better
October 16, 2009 - Boy Burned By Bullies, Michael Brewer's Horrifying 911 Call
October 15, 2009 - Boy Burned by Bullies, Mother Says Michael Brewer Staying Strong
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan