"Aliens Spoke" to Balloon Boy's Father Richard Heene at a Fast-Food Restaurant
Months before Richard Heene's "UFO-like" balloon ascended into the sky with his son supposedly on board, the amateur scientist and professional tile layer, explained on national TV his belief that aliens are humanity's ancestors, and that one spoke to him while he was at a fast-food restaurant.
Appearing in March on the ABC reality TV show "Wife Swap," he told of once passing out in a fast-food restaurant and hearing aliens speak to him. He boasted of his plans to build a flying saucer covered in aluminum foil and send it into a tornado - a scenario that brings to mind the large silver object that mesmerized American television audiences last week as it rode the wind across the Colorado sky.
Luckily, his six-year-old son Falcon was not on board as Richard Heene had originally told a 911 operator, the Federal Aviation Administration, and the media.
The incident was initially viewed as an unfortunate misunderstanding, but as of Sunday Oct. 18 Colorado law enforcement became convinced it was a hoax devised to attract media attention.
Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden said he expected to recommend charges of conspiracy, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, making a false report to authorities and attempting to influence a public servant. Federal charges were also possible.
The most serious charges are felonies and carry a maximum sentence of six years in prison and a $500,000 fine. Alderden said they would be seeking restitution for the costs, though he didn't have an estimate.
The sheriff also contacted Child Protective Services which means the parenting skills of Richard Heene and his wife Mayumi will likely be scrutinized by the state.
In an episode of "Wife Swap," Richard Heene pulled his children around a hockey rink on a hovercraft-like device and took them on UFO-hunting expeditions.
"I'm very grateful that America has voted for us to be on a second time," he said of his second appearance on the show. "(It's) like the best thing that's ever happened in our life. Seriously."
Photos: The Bizarre "Balloon Boy" Incident
Audio: Richard Heene's Frantic 911 Call
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
October 19, 2009 - Richard Heene, Balloon Boy's Father, Wears Bra, Makeup While Ranting on YouTube
October 19, 2009 - Aliens Spoke to Balloon Boy's Father Richard Heene at a Fast-Food Restaurant
October 19, 2009 - Balloon Boy Dad Richard Heene Thinks World Will End in 2012; Will He Be Out of Jail by Then
October 19, 2009 - Balloon Boy Family's Homophobic Rant in Rap Video
October 19, 2009 - "Mad Scientist" Richard Heene Cooked Up Balloon Boy Hoax Months Ago, Says Denver Man
October 16, 2009 - Balloon Boy Drama Was "Real Event," Says Sheriff
October 16, 2009 - Balloon Boy Falcon Heene 911 Call Released
October 16, 2009 - It Sure Wasn't Altitude Sickness, But Balloon Boy Falcon Heene Throws Up Twice on National TV
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker