Was Rapper Shyne Released from Prison?
NEW YORK (CBS) A Clinton Correctional Facility staffer told Crimesider that New York Rapper Shyne was released from prison today after serving more than eight years for his role in a 1999 New York night club shooting involving mentor Sean "P. Diddy" Combs and actress Jennifer Lopez.
But a late Monday report from MTV News says that the Combs prot?g? remains in custody at an "unspecified facility in Western New York State," while U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement decides his fate.
The Web site of the New York State Department of Corrections seemed to indicate that Shyne was released from Woodbourne Correctional Facility on Oct. 6, 2009 and was on parole but his release was subject to immigration review.
Shyne, whose real name is Jamal Barrow, was born in Belize.
According to MTV, "The rapper admitted to firing a gun at Club New York, but maintained that he was acting in self-defense and that another gunman's bullets injured the two victims. He faced up to 25 years in prison."
But he was sentenced to only 10 years for crimes including first degree assault. He served less than nine.
"It's a blessing that he's coming home," Combs said in a recent radio interview on Hot 97 in New York. "I spoke to him like a couple of weeks ago and he sounded like he was in good spirits."
While serving time, the rapper released two albums and reportedly converted to Judaism. He legally changed his name Moses Michael Leviy.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death