CBS Employee Robert Joe Halderman Charged with $2M David Letterman Extortion Plot
NEW YORK (AP) A CBS News employee has been indicted in an extortion plot against David Letterman, who was forced to acknowledge sexual relationships with female staffers on his show after the man tried to blackmail him for $2 million, the Manhattan district attorney said Friday.
Robert J. "Joe" Halderman, a producer for the true-crime show "48 Hours," was arrested Thursday and indicted on one count of attempted first-degree grand larceny, punishable from five to 15 years upon conviction, District Attorney Robert Morgenthau said.
"Our concern here is extortion, and that's what we're focusing on," Morgenthau said.
The district attorney's office said Halderman left a letter and other material for Letterman early Sept. 9. He wrote that he needed "to make a large chunk of money" by selling Letterman a screenplay treatment.
The letter told Letterman that his world was "about to collapse around him" when information about his private life is disclosed.
He said it would lead to "a ruined reputation" and severe damage to his professional and family life.
Letterman immediately contacted his lawyer, who arranged a meeting with Halderman. At the meeting, Halderman demanded $2 million for not releasing the material, the district attorney's office said.
After the meeting, Letterman and his lawyer contacted the DA's office and the investigation began.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days