Jeffrey Tidus, Prominent L.A. Lawyer, Shot in Head in Possible "Targeted Killing"
Photo: Jeffrey Tidus.
Tidus was shot Monday around 8:30 p.m. as he was getting a laptop from his car.
His wife heard a single gunshot ring out and rushed outside to find him lying in the driveway behind his blue Toyota Prius, sheriff's homicide Lt. Dave Dolson said.
Photo: Police stand outside Jeffrey Tidus's home where he was shot Dec. 8, 2009.
"There are certain factors about it that indicate it could be a targeted killing," Dolson said. "We haven't ruled anything out."
No weapon was immediately found but sheriff's deputies and volunteers peered in hedges and scoured around surrounding houses along the street looking for clues. A scent dog was brought in to assist Tuesday evening.
Tidus' ranch-style home remained cordoned off by police tape. Several pink plastic flamingoes decorating his front lawn blinked with festive lights. Detectives were speaking to his wife inside the house.
Tidus, 53, had represented a string of high-profile clients including Hawthorne Savings, Isuzu Motors of America and defunct subprime lender New Century Financial, according to his Web site.
Dolson said investigators did not know of a motive but would be screening Tidus' past.
"We will have to take a long look at his professional and personal life," Dolson said.
Rolling Hills Estates is located about 20 miles south of Los Angeles and many of its homes are worth at least $1 million.
"It's so quiet you could hear the flowers grow," resident Jerry Schwartz said of the neighborhood.
Schwartz recalled Tidus as a friendly neighbor who would often give a wave as he ran through the neighborhood.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Official: College student faked kidnapping due to bad grade