Roman Polanski Rape Victim Samantha Geimer (Photo) Wants Case Dismissed
Photos: Roman Polanski
If Polanski is brought to an American court, Geimer, who is now an adult and living with her husband in Hawaii, cannot be forced to testify against him. What she really wants, she says, is for the case to be over. Geimer has already sued him and reached an undisclosed settlement. She filed court papers earlier this year asking the charges against Polanski be dismissed, according to CNN.
But clearly American authorities have different ideas.
Polanski, 76, director of "Chinatown," "Rosemary's Baby" and the Oscar-winning "The Pianist" was arrested Saturday as he arrived in Zurich to receive a lifetime achievement award from a film festival.
Authorities in Los Angeles consider Polanski a convicted felon and fugitive, and a Swiss justice official said there has been an international arrest warrant out on him since 2005.
Back in 1977, the director had pleaded guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with a then 13-year-old Geimer, who said Polanski performed oral sex, intercourse and sodomy on her after giving her champagne and part of a Quaalude pill at Jack Nicholson's house while the actor was away.
Polanski has called the girl a sophisticated teen who willingly had sex with him. The court didn't see it that way.
He was sent to prison for 42 days, but the judge tried to renege on the plea bargain. On the day of his sentencing in 1978, aware the judge would sentence him to more prison time, Polanski fled to France.
He is currently in a Swiss prison, awaiting a decision on whether he will be extradited to the United States. Swiss officials have said he will likely not be released until a court has ruled - a process that could take weeks.
Photos: Roman Polanski
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
September 29, 2009 - Roman Polanski's Own Lawyers May Have Caused Arrest for Samantha Geimer Rape
September 29, 2009 - Roman Polanski Case: Does France Love Child-Rapists, Movie Directors, or Both?
September 29, 2009 - Roman Polanski Rape Victim Samantha Geimer (Photo) Wants Case Dismissed?
September 29, 2009 - Roman Polanski Stuck in Jail for Samantha Geimer Rape
September 29, 2009 - Roman Polanski Nabbed for Sex with 13-Year-Old Girl
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.