"Why Do This to Young Girls?" Did Sick Online Diary Foreshadow Health Club Slaughter
Disturbing writings were found on a website attributed to someone named George Sodini, who police now believe is the 48-year-old shooter.
In an entry dated January 6, 2009, the author writes, "I can do this ... God have mercy ... I wish life could be better ... I wish I had answers ... Bye."
Two hours after that entry, he wrote: "I chickened out ... I brought the loaded guns, everything."
Then, this past Sunday, Aug. 2, the man wrote: "Tomorrow is the big day ... Last time I tried this, I chickened out. Let's see how this new approach works out."
Allusions to a shooting begin as far back as November of last year: "Why do this to young girls?" he asks.
He ended by writing, "Death Lives!"
Police are not yet sure who the target of the Aug. 4 shooting was but that the gunman went into the health club planning to shoot several people — firing "multiple" weapons "indiscriminately," according to Allegheny County police Superintendent Charles Moffatt. The gunman shut off the lights without speaking, then unleashed a burst of bullets.
"He walked right into the room where the shootings occurred as if he knew exactly where he was going," Moffatt said.
The violence rocked Collier, a bedroom community of about 5,300 residents near Interstate 79, some eight miles southwest of downtown Pittsburgh.
After shooting the women Tuesday night the gunman turned the gun on himself.
PREVIOUSLY ON CRIMESIDER
August 5, 2009 - Fit for Murder: Gunman Shoots Up Pa. Fitness Club
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles