"Nice Guy Must Die": Gym Killer's Shocking Date Tape
No one can know all of his influences, but one of the men Sodini learned from was self-proclaimed relationship guru, R. Don Steele, who has books, tapes, and seminars teaching middle-aged men how to succeed with much younger women.
In an online video that surfaced last week, but was shot at least a year ago, Sodini can be seen sitting in rapt attention at one of R. Don Steele's dating classes. Erin Micklow, an aspiring model and actress, who helped Steele with the class, also confirmed Sodini's attendance to Crimesider.
"Nothing stood out compared to the other men in the class," she said. "He just didn't really know how to interact with women."
In the tape, Steele tells a group of men to get over their fears of approaching women and to stop being such nice guys all the time, claiming the "nice guy must die."
At no point in the video does Steele talk about violence against women and there is no evidence to suggest Steele had any contact with Sodini other than as one of many students who attended the class.
Steele does pontificate on what to do when you encounter a woman who "thinks she's hot (expletive) and everyone is kissing her (expletive) trying to go out with her." The secret is to insult her shoes.
Steele did not respond to interview requests made via email and telephone.
Photos: George Sodini and His Rage Against Women
The advice and the self-help book evidently didn't do anything to improve Sodini's love life.
Embittered by his decades-long inability to attract the opposite sex, the 48-year-old computer analyst opened fire on a women's aerobics class in the Pittsburgh suburbs on Aug. 4, 2009. He killed three women and wounded nine.
In an eerie moment on the tape, Steele tells his acolytes, "Your job is to make yourself memorable. Make her remember your name."
Heidi Overmier, 46, of Carnegie, Jody Billingsley, 37, of Mount Lebanon, and Elizabeth Gannon, 49, of Pittsburgh, all gunned down in their prime.
Those are the names to remember.
PREVIOUSLY ON CRIMESIDER
August 10, 2009 - Gym Killer Was Devoted Follower of Dating Guru
August 10, 2009 - Pa. Health Club Massacre: The Women's Stories
August 7, 2009 - You are Giving Gym Killer What He Wants... So Are We
August 6, 2009 - Pa. Health Club Killer George Sodini's Disturbing Youtube Video
August 6, 2009 - Inside the Twisted Mind of the Health Club Killer
August 5, 2009 - "Why Do This to Young Girls?" Did Sick Online Diary Foreshadow Health Club Slaughter
August 5, 2009 - Fit for Murder: Gunman Shoots Up Pa. Fitness Club
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Cops: Pa. man arrested due to "rape video" on ex's iPhone