Caught on Tape: Heroes Save Family from Exploding Car
WAUWATOSA, Wis. (CBS/AP) Angela Baldessari's SUV was on its side and engulfed in flames. She and her two children were trapped inside, being burned by the encroaching flames.
It sounds like a scene from a movie, but this scenario occurred in real life on a Milwaukee street this weekend. Baldessari, of Kingsport, Tenn., was driving Sunday when her SUV hit a tree and burst into flames.
But civilians and off-duty rescue workers, who saw the car in flames, rushed in for a daring rescue.
James "Chris" Harper is the father of the 4-year-old boy who was trapped for the longest in the car. He said Tuesday that words can't express his gratitude to off-duty firefighters Joel and John Rechlitz and others.
The men, with help from bystanders, pulled the mother and her 2-year-old girl from the car before cutting 4-year-old D.J. Harper free from his car-seat.
The Rechlitz brothers suffered burns on their hands and forearms.
Pediatric surgeon David Gourlay says the 4-year-old is in serious but stable condition with burns over 20 percent of his body. He says many of the burns are deep and are on the scalp, face and upper body.
Harper said of his son's rescuers, his son was surrounded by angels.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- N.H. woman get 40 years in prison for child porn
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Ex-judge charged with stealing cocaine from cases