You're Busted! Watching Erin Andrew's Naked Video is a Crime
NEW YORK (CBS) As more people click on or search for the video that shows ESPN reporter Erin Andrews walking naked around a hotel room, many online viewers don't realize they are actually breaking the law.
"The Early Show" spoke with CBS News Legal Analyst Lisa Bloom, who said downloading or watching the nude Erin Andrews video is illegal.
"Its like buying or selling stolen property," said Bloom. "If you know you are buying something that was stolen... you could be liable criminally and civilly."
Photos: Erin Andrews Naked Peephole Video Scandal
Andrews apparently was recorded on video through a peephole, possibly drilled into her hotel room's wall. That too is a crime.
And while police are not likely to breaking down anyone's door for downloading the Andrews video or streaming it online, people searching for the nude video could receive a nasty surprise. Hackers are creating fake websites purported to contain the Andrews video. But try to download the video and you might download a Trojan horse virus instead.
According to the New York Post, the people behind the video that shows the nude ESPN reporter fixing her hair and putting on her makeup are now reportedly trying to sell it to the highest bidder.
Andrews intends to seek legal actions once the video voyeur have been identified. Andrews could also press charges for humiliation.
"This was something stolen from Erin Andrews," Bloom said. "...Her Privacy and reputation."
PREVIOUSLY ON CRIMESIDER
July 20, 2009 - Hackers Use Naked Video of ESPN Star Erin Andrews to Attack Your PC
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered