Teen Who Roasted Kitten Shows No Remorse
NEW YORK (CBS/AP) Cheyenne Cherry, 17, pled guilty to charges of animal cruelty and attempted burglary on Wednesday, and admitted she didn't let a kitten out of an oven after a friend put the animal inside and let it roast to death.
Authorities say the pair ransacked a Bronx, NY apartment before putting the cat, Tiger Lily, in the oven, where it cried and scratched before dying.
While in court, Cherry was confronted by animal activists holding signs and posters against the killing.
"It's dead, bitch!" snapped the unabashed teen to a row of animal activists in court, according to the New York Daily News. Reportedly Cherry also stuck her tongue out to them while leaving the courtroom.
Cherry's 14-year-old friend was charged with aggravated animal cruelty and burglary in the May 6 incident.
After Cherry was arrested, she reportedly told officers that the killing was "just a joke." That "joke" cost Cherry a year in jail.
More At New York Daily News
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call