SHOCK: Revealing Photos Of Mental Patient Investigated
Two state employees were placed on paid leave while allegations are investigated that a partially nude photo of at least one patient was taken with a cell phone at Central Regional Hospital in Butner, NC.
Officials said the employees were sent home last week after the picture of a partially nude male was found on a hospital-provided cell phone, The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Tuesday.
Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman Renee McCoy said the alleged incident took place at Central Regional Hospital in Butner. The Butner Public Safety Division and the State Bureau of Investigation are cooperating in the probe.
An advocate for people with disabilities said the incident, if true, was a serious violation of privacy rights.
A judge issued a restraining order against the department last year after Disability Rights sued over patient safety and insufficient staffing at the new $138 million hospital in Butner.
Hospital director Michael Hennike told the staff in an e-mail last week that policy forbids use of cell phones where patients are present.
Less than two months ago, the SBI was asked to investigate reports that staff members at Central Regional's campus in Raleigh had sex with female prison inmates who worked there as part of a labor program. Three male workers lost their jobs and a female worker resigned under suspicion that she improperly helped the inmates set up bank accounts, make phone calls and use e-mail.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 10-year-old killed after gunmen shoot into Calif. home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing