Breaking: Alleged Kitty Killer's Father Speaks Out
MIAMI (CBS/AP) The father and stepmother of the teenager accused of killing more than a dozen cats in South Florida spoke today as the couple walked outside the courthouse.
CBS4 Miami had the cameras rolling while Tyler Hayes Weinman's father told television reporters that he was confident his son wasn't involved in the cat deaths.
"I'm absolutely sure that he is innocent," Doug Weinman said. "Because I've raised a son for 18 years and I know who he is."
Police said they arrested Weinman after tracking the teenager for some time. He was taken to the police station for an interview on his prom night and his house was placed under surveillance. But on Wednesday, his attorney Michael Walsh was critical of the investigation, saying that his client's arrest was based on circumstantial evidence.
According to CBS4 Miami, an assortment of knives and cutting instruments were found hidden in the 18-year-old's room. Prosecutors are still waiting to learn if they can match DNA from a dead cat to possible blood found on the knives in Weinman's bedroom.
Those knives could very well be the key to the kitty killer case.
More At CBS4 Miami
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Report: 2 NY men arrested in alleged radiation terror plot
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands