Caught On Tape: Trooper Chokes Medic
OKLAHOMA CITY (CBS/AP) In Oklahoma, a trip to the hospital turned into a fight between a police officer and an ambulance paramedic as a sick woman waited in the ambulance. Now two new videos, one released by the son of the sick woman, and another taken from the officer's dashboard cam have brought new focus on what really took place.
The original event occurred May 24, when Oklahoma Highway Patrolman Daniel Martin pulled over the ambulance after it failed to get out of his way quickly enough. Martin then cussed at the driver "I ain't going to put up with that (expletive)."
Paramedic Maurice White Jr., who was tending to the patient, jumped out of the back of the ambulance. White tried to explain there was a sick woman in the ambulance and suggested that they settle the dispute at the hospital.
In a video released by Kenyada Davis, the son of the sick woman in the ambulance, Martin then appeared to choke White. White pushed at Martin and ran back into the ambulance.
Once the fight broke up, Martin spoke to the driver privately at the front of the ambulance and then returned to the rear of the vehicle and poked his head inside to tell the patient she would be taken to the hospital soon.
Another altercation broke out on the opposite side of the ambulance after Martin walked to the passenger-side window and told the driver: "You're going to jail, you understand me? You are under arrest."
Martin eventually let both paramedics continue to the hospital and later issued a written warning to the ambulance driver for failure to yield. The local district attorney reviewed the case and declined to file charges against either man.
After initially refusing to do so, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol released their own dashboard camera video showing the altercation.
OHP Capt. Chris West said in a statement the highway patrol decided to release the video because it had "drawn enormous attention" and a department investigation wouldn't be affected.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship