Father Runs Over Daughter For Being Too "Westernized"
PEORIA, Ariz. (CBS/AP) Police believe a 20-year-old girl was run over in a Phoenix suburb because she had become too "Westernized." And the man they suspect was behind the wheel was her own father, an Iraqi immigrant.
Police say 48-year-old Faleh Hassan Almaleki of Glendale allegedly ran his daughter over Tuesday at an Arizona Department of Economic Security parking lot in Peoria.
The victim, Noor Faleh Almaleki, who lives in Surprise, Az., a Phoenix suburb, remains hospitalized with life-threatening injuries.
A second woman, 43-year-old Amal Edan Khalaf suffered non-life threatening injuries. Police say the women are roommates.
Cynthia Diaz, who witnessed the crash, said Noor Almaleki was unconscious and bleeding from the nose; however, Khalaf was able to communicate.
"I asked her specifically, 'Do you know who did this?'" Diaz said to CBS Affiliate KPHO. "She said yes and she gave a name."
Police said Faleh Almaleki was last seen driving a gray or silver 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with license plate No. ADS-9192.
More at CBS Affiliate KPHO.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese