Pastor Who Delivered Eulogy At Millionaire's Funeral Killed Him
Former pastor Doug Porter's 2006 booking photo
MODESTO, Calif. (CBS/AP) The first time Frank E. Craig was laid to rest, nobody knew his murderer was the pastor delivering the eulogy. Now his family plans a new funeral for the millionaire rancher who drowned in a California irrigation canal.
Family members thought it was strange when Hickman Community Church pastor Doug Porter eulogized that Craig, a nonbeliever, had found peace with God in the days before he died. They wondered how he could have known his days were numbered.
But it turns out that the pastor knew much about Craig's death, because he killed him. The 85-year-old Craig died in 2004 with Porter behind the wheel of a pickup truck. Thereafter, Porter controlled Craig's $2 million trust and spent it on personal projects. In August, Porter went to San Quentin State Prison, convicted of murder, elder abuse and theft.
The new funeral is June 6 at Turlock Memorial Park.
More at The Modesto Bee
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"