From Shackles To Freedom: 6-Year-Old Girl Escapes Rapist
HANOVER, Mass. (CBS/AP) A bike ride turned into terror, when a 6-year-old Massachusetts girl riding her bicycle was kidnapped by a neighbor who tried to rape her, according to Mass. authorities.
Yet despite being shackled from her legs, she managed to escape from his apartment and lead police back to him, a state prosecutor said.
The girl was found Saturday afternoon as police searched the apartment complex in Hanover, about 20 miles southeast of Boston, where she and the suspect live, Plymouth District Attorney Timothy Cruz said.
The girl's mother reported her missing at about 1:30 p.m., about a half-hour after she had left her home to ride her bike, authorities said. Officers found the girl outside during a door-to-door search, and she led them to the apartment where she was taken, Cruz said.
Police then entered the apartment and arrested Justin Shine, 26, after a struggle, Cruz said. He was charged with kidnapping, attempted rape, assault and resisting arrest. It's unclear whether he has a lawyer. He is to be arraigned Monday in Hingham District Court.
Cruz said Shine was brought to a hospital to be treated for injuries he suffered in the struggle with police and what appeared to be self-inflicted wounds.
It wasn't clear if he was still in the hospital Sunday. Police referred questions to Cruz's office. A message was left with a spokeswoman for Cruz.
The girl also was taken to a hospital, but authorities would not comment on her condition.
"It's fair to say that if the police didn't do the job that they did, that this situation may have ended worse," Cruz told reporters late Saturday.
More At WBZ-TV Boston
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Coroner: Serial killer, the "Night Stalker," died of cancer
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Ill. man dodges $70 restaurant bill, gets 3 years in prison