Husband of falling shopping cart victim Marion Hedges says her recovery will be difficult
(CBS/WCBS) NEW YORK - The husband of a New York woman injured by a falling shopping cart says his wife will survive but has a difficult road ahead of her.
Marion Salmon Hedges was critically injured Sunday night after two 12-year-old boys allegedly threw a shopping cart over the fourth-floor railing at an East Harlem shopping complex. The 47-year-old Upper West Side Realtor had been walking underneath with her son after buying Halloween candy.
"What I can tell you is she's not well," Hedges' husband Michael told CBS station WCBS.
Michael Hedges told the station that his wife will survive but, due to damage to her brain, she will have a difficult recovery.
"Her prognosis at a minimum involves many months of painful rehabilitation," Michael said.
Michael Hedges says, "There's not a lot we can do right now. It's with the doctor and with fate's hands."
When asked how angry he was at the two boys, WCBS reports Michael said, "They're not adults. They're children, and children who have been left on their own without supervision."
The 12-year-old boys have been charged with felony assault and misdemeanor criminal possession of a weapon.
WCBS spoke to one of the boys' family members Tuesday.
"We feel real bad for the whole situation and the family and what she's going through. I can't imagine what her family and kids are going through, but we're also going through something, too," the family member said.
Hedges, who the Daily News reports volunteers at the Stanley M. Isaacs Neighborhood Center, is reportedly in critical but stable condition at New York City's Harlem Hospital.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly