Estranged husband arrested in Md. mother Jane McQuain's murder, son still missing
(CBS/WUSA/AP) ROCKVILLE, Md. - The estranged husband of slain mother, Jane McQuain, was arrested in North Carolina on Thursday and charged with first-degree murder, but police are still searching for her missing 11-year-old son William.Curtis Lopez, 45, was taken into custody around 9:30 a.m. Thursday as he was leaving an EconoLodge in Charlotte, N.C. The arrest came after McQuain was found dead in the bedroom of her condominium on Wednesday night in Germantown, Md., 30 miles northwest of Washington.
Police found her car, but not her son. He was last seen Sept. 30, police said. William is Lopez's stepson.
Lopez is McQuain's estranged husband who lives in North Carolina and Montgomery County Police said he was seen taking property from her home, according to CBS affiliate WUSA.
He was contacted Wednesday night and then arrested Thursday morning. Detectives spoke with Lopez. He was then deemed a suspect in part because of his inconsistent statements, police said.
McQuain suffered trauma to her body but police would not reveal more information about the death pending the release of autopsy results. After her son was not found, the Maryland State Police issued an Amber Alert for the boy. Montgomery County police also obtained a warrant charging Lopez with murder.
It was not immediately clear when he would be returned to Maryland to face charges. Montgomery County detectives went to North Carolina on Thursday to speak with Lopez and search for evidence.
William is 5'0" tall, weighs 85 pounds. William has brown hair and brown eyes.
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments