Tracy Burleson, Texas pastor convicted in wife's murder, sentenced to life in prison
(CBS/AP/KHOU) HOUSTON - A Texas pastor convicted of capital murder in the May 2010 shooting death of his wife has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.
Prosecutors say the Houston-based pastor Tracy Burleson paid his son, William Fuller, to kill Burleson's 56-year-old wife to collect on a $60,000 life insurance policy. Pauletta Burleson was found shot to death outside the couple's home in May 18, 2010.
Burleson told police he and his wife had an argument on the night of the shooting and he left to buy snacks from a neighborhood store. Burleson said when he returned, he found his wife lying dead outside.
However, investigators didn't buy his story. Further investigation led police to the pastor's son. When they questioned Fuller, they say he cracked and made a shocking confession.
According to documents obtained by KHOU, Fuller admitted that he shot and killed his stepmother in a murder-for-hire plot allegedly devised by his father. It is a claim Burleson denied.
"I would never tell my son to do anything like that," Burleson said of the allegation. "I didn't pay my son. I didn't have no money to pay my son."
Investigators said the pastor and his son were also having an affair with the same woman, Tyonne Palmer-Pollard. Officials said she assisted the gunman after he called and told her the pastor's wife had been shot. According to police reports, Palmer-Pollard picked up the gunman, drove him to get cleaned up and assisted in destroying the gun.
She was charged with tampering with evidence.
Burleson's 21-year-old son, William Fuller, remains jailed without bond awaiting trial on a murder charge.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released