Calif. police officer accused of murdering mentally ill man Kelly Thomas posts bail
(CBS/KCBS/AP) SANTA ANA, Calif. - Manuel Ramos, the Southern California police officer charged with killing a mentally ill homeless man during a violent arrest, posted $1 million bail Thursday and was released from custody.
Ramos, a 10-year-veteran with the Fullerton Police Department, pleaded not guilty Monday before a judged rejected a request to lower his $1 million bail.
Thomas, a schizophrenic homeless man, died after a confrontation with six police officers who were responding to reports of car burglaries.
Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackaukas says video of the incident shows Ramos initiating the deadly beating.
Prosecutors have said Thomas was shocked four times with a Taser, kneed in the head, punched in the ribs and bashed eight times with the butt of a stun gun.
The coroner concluded the cause of death was mechanical compression of the thorax, which made it impossible for Thomas to breathe normally and deprived his brain of oxygen.
Officer Jay Cicinelli, 39, was also charged with involuntary manslaughter and use of excessive force. He is free on $25,000 bail.
Ramos and Cicinelli, who have been on paid leave, will lose their pay starting Oct. 8 pending the outcome of the case, acting police Chief Kevin Hamiton said.
Four other officers, who were not charged, will remain on paid administrative leave while the FBI completes an investigation and the Fullerton Police Department concludes an internal inquiry.
Ramos was told to return to court Nov. 4 for a pre-trial hearing.
The Fullerton police union issued a statement Thursday saying it did not contribute funds or assist in raising the bail money.
More on Crimesider
September 26, 2011 - Calif. police officer pleads not guilty in beating death of mentally ill man, Kelly Thomas
September 21, 2011 - Two Calif. police officers charged in beating death of mentally ill man, Kelly Thomas
August 3, 2011 - Five cops suspended after beating mentally-disabled homeless man to death
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin