Dougherty siblings due in Colo. court in cross-country crime spree
(CBS/AP) WALSENBURG, Colo. - State prosecutors will present their case today against the three siblings accused in a cross-country crime spree that began in Florida and ended with a police chase and gunplay in southern Colorado.
Lee Grace Dougherty, 29, and her brothers Dylan Stanley Dougherty, 26, and Ryan Edward Dougherty, 21, are expected in court Tuesday in Walsenburg for a preliminary hearing. Such hearings in Colorado are where judges hear from arresting officers to determine if there's enough evidence to hold a trial.
The Dougherty trio is accused of robbing a bank in Georgia and shooting at police officers in Florida and Colorado. The siblings are also suspected in two car thefts in Utah.
The widely publicized cross-country manhunt for the Doughertys ended Aug. 10 in Huerfano, Colo., after a chase on Interstate 25. The chase began when the trio was spotted near Colorado City, Colo., about 140 miles south of Denver, authorities said.
The Doughertys allegedly fired an AK-47 at pursuing officers before running over spike strips, blowing a tire, rolling their vehicle and crashing into a guardrail.
Each sibling faces five counts of attempted second-degree murder and five counts of first-degree assault. Additionally, each of those charges carry a separate sentence enhancing charge of a being crime of violence.
They are also all charged with vehicle theft, theft by receiving and displaying fictitious or altered license plates.
Prosecutors accused Ryan Dougherty of being the driver during the Colorado chase and charged him with vehicular eluding. Lee Grace Dougherty is charged with three additional first-degree assault counts, each with an accompanying charge of being a crime of violence.
Each defendant is being held on a $1.25 million bond.
The siblings have not yet entered pleas.
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments