Tenn. mother Lindsey Lowe tells police she hid pregnancy, smothered newborns
Police in the Nashville suburb of Hendersonville arrested Lowe on Wednesday after her father discovered one baby's body in a laundry basket.
According to a police affidavit, the young mother said she didn't tell her family she was pregnant, but believes she got pregnant in January and never visited a doctor. Police said on Thursday they were trying to identify the father of the twins.
Lowe said she went into labor Monday evening while on the toilet at her parents' home, according to police. She said the first baby fell into the toilet and began to cry.
Police wrote in the affidavit, "Lowe stated that she put her hand over the child's mouth and she stated that she kept it there until the child was dead which was a couple minutes."
Lowe said she never checked the sex of the child.
A few minutes later, according to the affidavit, she gave birth to a second child, who also fell in the toilet. She again put her hand over the baby's mouth and held it there until the baby died, which she said took less time than the first child. She allegedly put both babies in the laundry basket and covered them up with blankets.
Police said both boys appeared to be full term and weighed about 5 to 6 pounds.
Lowe was charged with first-degree murder and remained in jail Thursday with no bond. Police said she is undergoing a medical evaluation.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days