Remains of missing mom Susan Powell found in Utah?
(CBS/KIRO) DELTA, Utah - Police say they have found human remains during a search for missing mother Susan Powell in Utah's rugged desert.
However, the remains were not immediately identified and it wasn't clear if the body was that of Powell.
Powell's father, Chuck Cox, told CBS affiliate KIRO that he received a call from police saying that they found possible remains in a shallow grave and would investigate their identity. He said it is frustrating to not know everything right away but understands it takes time.
Cox said police have told him about human remains discovered five or six times before but none of them turned out to be his daughter's.
From past experience, Cox said he knows he may have to wait up to a week for police to make positive identification.
"We're going to be here in case our daughter is found so we have to stay strong enough to see this through," Cox told KIRO-TV.
West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell said the remains were found Wednesday by cadaver dogs as authorities searched for clues in the disappearance of Powell. Authorities have been searching the area since Monday.
The mother of two children was last seen in December 2009 in West Valley City. Powell's husband, Josh Powell, is a person of interest in the case.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Hofstra Univ. student, suspect killed in home invasion
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Jodi Arias' lawyers tried to quit, judge wouldn't let them
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty