Burglar at Celine Dion's mansion eats pastries, prepares bath, police say
(CBS/AP) MONTREAL - In what sounds like a real life version of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears," police say a man broke into singer Celine Dion's sprawling home in the Montreal suburb of Laval, raided the fridge and even took the time to pour himself a bath.
Daniel Bedard, a Laval resident, was arraigned Tuesday on charges including breaking and entering, auto theft and causing property damage.
The international pop star and her husband, Rene Angelil, were not home during the break-in and the suspect was nabbed by police soon after the alarm system went off.
Police spokesman Franco Di Genova said the suspect was getting ready to take a hot bath when the police arrived.
"He opened the water faucets, was pouring a nice warmish bath (and) he even managed to eat some pastry that was in the fridge," Di Genova said.
According to Di Genova, the suspect greeted police by asking: "Hey, guys what are you doing here?"
"So the officers replied: 'What are you doing here?'" Di Genova said. "And they proceeded to put him under arrest."
Di Genova said the man had jumped a fence to get on the property and used a garage door opener that he found in an unlocked vehicle to gain access to the luxury residence.
Di Genova said there was another incident at Dion's mansion in 2009 when another man jumped the fence, but was stopped by the security firm that was keeping an eye on the property before he could enter the home.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths