Tampa teen accused of school bomb plot, Jared Cano, to be charged as an adult
(CBS/AP) TAMPA, Fla. - The Hillsborough County State Attorney says 17-year-old Jared Cano, who is charged with plotting to blow up his high school, will be tried as an adult.
Jared Cano was arrested in August.
Police say they found bomb-making materials and a "manifesto" outlining Cano's plans in his home.
Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor said the alleged bombing plot was planned minute-by-minute and the intent was to cause more casualties than the 1999 Columbine High School massacre which resulted in 13 deaths before the two shooters killed themselves.
Cano faces charges of possessing bomb-making materials, cultivating marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, possessing marijuana and threatening to throw, project, place or discharge a destructive device.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web