Philadephia cop charged in squad car rape
(CBS/KYW/AP) PHILADELPHIA - Philadelphia police officer Keith Corley has been arrested for raping a woman while on duty in August. Police said on Wednesday that the 27-year-old was charged with rape, indecent assault and related offenses.
According to CBS station KYW, the 32-year-old victim told police that she was waiting for a bus in West Philadelphia at about 3:30 a.m. on Aug. 11 when Corley offered her a ride. He then took her to a nearby park and assaulted her.
Authorities say Corley, assigned to the 18th Police District, was on duty, in uniform and in a marked police car when he assaulted the woman.
Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey has suspended Corley for 30 days with intent to dismiss.
"Obviously, it's something of great concern. It's another, you know, black mark against the Department but again it doesn't represent everyone on the Department," Ramsey told KYW. "None of this is tolerable and we'll take whatever action we need to take to rid our ranks of them."
Corley has been on the force for about four years.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor