Rodney King charged with DUI for July arrest
(CBS/KCBS/AP) RIVERSIDE, Calif. - Rodney King, whose videotaped beating by police led to the 1992 Los Angeles riots, has been charged with driving under the influence stemming from an arrest in Southern California last month.
According to CBS station KCBS, King was charged with two misdemeanor counts Wednesday. He was allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol and marijuana. His blood-alcohol level was also allegedly higher than the legal limit when he was pulled over in Riverside County's Moreno Valley.
If convicted, King faces up to a year in jail because of a prior DUI conviction in San Bernardino County.
King, 46, has struggled with sobriety publicly and appeared on "Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab" in 2008 and "Sober House" in 2009.
According to TMZ, King has a prior DUI from 2003 when he reportedly sped through an intersection at more than 100 MPH before crashing into a power pole and house.
King's beating during a 1991 arrest, caught on videotape, made him a household name. A year later, the white officers in the beating were acquitted of federal charges which sparked days of rioting that killed 55 people and caused widespread damage.
King is scheduled to be arraigned Friday.
More on Crimesider
July 13, 2011 - Rodney King arrested on suspicion of DUI
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web