Casey Anthony attorney Jose Baez investigated by Fla. bar, say reports
(CBS) - Jose Baez, the lead attorney for Casey Anthony, is reportedly being investigated by the Florida bar association after a complaint was filed against him.
According to CNN, the complaint is in regard to Baez's "handling of when his client [Anthony]...would serve probation" for her January 2010 conviction on check fraud charges. The news station reports that is unknown who filed the report.
The issue is whether or not Anthony's defense team had an obligation to inform the court that Anthony was "serving" her probation while already in jail - an unusual circumstance that reportedly went against the intentions of the judge in the check fraud case and was brought on by what Judge Belvin Perry called a "scrivener's error," reports Fox News.
So, basically: if an attorney is aware of a clerical error that goes against a judge's ruling, is it his or her duty to report it?
What's Baez's take on this? He told TMZ that he's "looking forward to the bar completing its investigation, so that it can be dismissed just like the 20 previous complaints."
Casey Anthony, 25, was charged with murder and aggravated child abuse in Caylee's death. Her trial began in May and a jury found her not guilty of all felony charges on July 5.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"