Infant goes missing after court brawl in Detroit
(CBS/AP) DETROIT - The search is on in Detroit for a missing 4-month-old girl after a fight erupted at a court hearing. The brawl broke out after custody of the child was awarded to her father. Somehow, the baby was lost in the mayhem.
Last week during a domestic dispute, the infant's father Damon Daniel allegedly shot and killed the girl's mother Ebony Gaines. However, Wayne County prosecutors said Daniel acted in self-defense. Thursday, Gaines' cousin brought their four-month-old baby, Evelyn, to a custody hearing where a referee granted custody back to Daniel.
According to local station WJBK, a security guard passed off the baby to a mysterious woman when the scuffle broke out.
"(There) was so much going on, (there were) so many officers, so many people, pepper spray, everything," said friend Shandela Vaughn to the station.
However, no one knows the woman's identity.
Prior to the hearing, Evelyn had been cared for by the Gaines family. But now, both sides of the child's family claim they know nothing about the child's whereabouts.
Meanwhile, Detroit police took a kidnapping report but the state police did not issue an amber report. Sources also told the station that on Thursday night police were searching for the baby and they would visit the families to see if anyone had the child.
Anyone with information on Evelyn's whereabouts is asked to contact the Detroit Police Department at 313-267-4600 or call the DPD tip line at 313-596-2313.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Coroner: Serial killer, the "Night Stalker," died of cancer
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Ill. man dodges $70 restaurant bill, gets 3 years in prison