Sentencing delayed for Billy Bob Thornton's estranged daughter in infant's death
Brumfield was scheduled to be sentenced Thursday morning after being found guilty in May of aggravated manslaughter for the October 2008 death of a friend's 1-year-old child.
Sentencing was delayed so previous court transcripts can be reviewed, according to Florida publicatoin the Sun-Sentinel. It is unclear when it will be held again.
The 32-year-old was acquitted of the first-degree murder and aggravated child-abuse charges she originally faced in the death of her best friend's daughter, whom she was babysitting at the time in Orlando.
Now attorneys for Brumfield are expected to present a motion for acquittal, according to local station WFTV.
Brumfield claimed the child, Olivia Madison Garcia, was trying to climb out of a playpen when the toddler fell and hit her head. According to police, Brumfield waited more than two hours to call for help, reports CBS affiliate WKMG.
However, Brumfield told investigators that the child initially appeared fine after her injury and that's why she waited to get help, says WKMG.
While prosecutors say it's impossible for a fall from that height to cause the three-and-a-half inch fracture and bleeding and swelling found in the girl's brain, the defense suggested the fall may have aggravated a previous injury, causing the 1-year-old's death.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen