Ex-Marine linked to girls' murders charged in death of Navy officer Amanda Snell
(WUSA/CBS) ARLINGTON, Va. - Former U.S. Marine Jorge Avila Torrez is has been indicted in the 2009 murder of Navy petty officer Amanda Jean Snell, federal officials said.
Torrez, 22, of Arlington has been charged with murdering 20-year-old Snell, in her barracks room at Joint Base Myer in Henderson Hall, officials said in a news release, reports CBS affiliate WUSA.
"Today, we are charging Jorge Torrez with murdering a young Navy Petty Officer in her barracks," said U.S. Neil H. Attorney MacBride. "This indictment is the result of extreme dedication by NCIS and the Arlington County Police Department to follow every lead possible to bring the person responsible for Amanda's murder to justice."
Torrez was already in prison for the abduction of two Va. women and the abduction and rape of another, reports Arlnow.com. On Dec. 10, 2010, Torrez was sentenced to five life terms plus 168 years, which he is currently serving at Red Onion State Prison, in Pound, Va.
Torrez has also been linked by DNA evidence to the murders of two Chicago-area girls, Laura Hobbs, 8, and Krystal Tobias, 9, according to the Chicago Tribune. Jerry Hobbs, the father of Laura, was held for 5 years in jail in the case.
Ex-Marine linked to girls' murders charged in death of Navy officer
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home