Tanya McDowell, homeless mom charged with "stealing" education for son, arrested on drug charges
(CBS/WFSB/AP) HARTFORD, Conn. - Tanya McDowell, a homeless single mother accused of illegally enrolling her son in the wrong school district, appeared in court Monday after being arrested Friday for allegedly selling crack cocaine and marijuana to undercover officers near another school in Norwalk.
Norwalk investigators picked up McDowell on three drug warrants and then found more drugs on her during the arrest, police said, according to CBS affiliate WFSB.
In court on Monday, McDowell's attorney said the drug cases are in retaliation to all of the negative publicity the city has received after she enrolled her son, now 6, in kindergarten last fall under her babysitter's address.
"If this is a way to respond to her fighting back, this is a bad way to do it. It's a terrible message," Darnell Crosland, McDowell's attorney said, reports the station.
In April, McDowell made national headlines after she was charged with stealing an education for her son. McDowell said she was homeless and had been staying with different people while her son was in school, the station reports.
Since then, McDowell's case has garnered even more attention and support from civil rights leaders, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, who headlined a rally last week outside the school McDowell's son had attended.
In the new case, McDowell faces 29 charges, including drug manufacturing and possession near a school. Her bond was set for $200,000.
She remains in jail.
While her attorney tried arguing the recent drug investigation was targeted at McDowell, prosecutors and Norwalk police said the case was a routine reaction to complaints about drugs.
"I'm a little disappointed by attorney Crosland suggesting that I put together a task force. I have more more important things to worry about. It's absolutely ridiculous," said Norwalk police Chief Harry Rilling, reports the station.
McDowell is due to return to court July 12 in the enrollment case.
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Report: 2 NY men arrested in alleged radiation terror plot
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple