Cleveland man shoots 11-year-old for playing on lawn, close to his car, reports say
A Cleveland man is accused of shooting an 11-year-old girl who was among some children playing on his front lawn Friday night, reports say.
Charles DuBose, 55, DuBose reportedly got mad because Ivhan'e Merritt and another girl were playing too close to his car, according to CBS affiliate WOIO.
The station reports that DuBose yelled at them to stop playing around his vehicle, but they didn't. He then fired one shot at the kids, striking Merritt in the upper torso. Merritt was taken to MetroHealth Medical Center, but was released Sunday night.
Shamarra Hall, 10, said DuBose became upset when one of the children in the group walked across a part of his lawn and another bumped into his car, reported Foxnews.com.
"We started running and then that's when my friend Ivhan`e goes 'I got shot, I got shot,' and we thought she was playing until she fell," Hall told the station.
The girl's mother, Aquadea Merritt, said the bullet grazed her daughter's liver.
The 11-year-old was taken to MetroHealth Medical Center, but was released Sunday night, reports WOIO.
The allegedly trigger-happy Dubose plead not guilty Monday. He was being held on $250,000 bond.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released