12-year-old Cristian Fernandez charged as adult in 2-year-old brother's murder
(CBS/WTEV) JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Florida State Attorney's Office is charging 12-year-old Cristian Fernandez as an adult with first-degree murder in the death of his 2-year-old brother David Galarrigo.
"The brutal beating death of a 2-year-old is one of the factors that we must consider," said Assistant State Attorney Mark Caliel, about the decision to charge Fernandez as an adult, reports CBS affiliate WTEV.
Prosecutors say Fernandez acted with premeditation when he beat the toddler inside the family home on March 14.
Galarriago died from his injuries two days after the beating. He suffered from a fractured skull, a bleeding brain and bruising to his left eye, reports The Florida Times-Union.
Quin Jones, the family's neighbor remembers when police swarmed the apartment unit where the family lived in March.
"Pictures in the house were knocked down and furniture was moved," says Jones, who says he was able to see inside the unit when police arrived, reports the station.
Fernandez's mother Biannela Susana has been charged with aggravated manslaughter by culpable negligence and is scheduled to go to trial in September. Police say she initially told investigators that Galarriago was hurt in a fall at the family's Southside apartment, reports The Florida Times-Union.
If Fernadez is convicted of first-degree murder, he could be sentenced to life without parole.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Report: Fla. man stops to steal beer during police chase