Not guilty plea for Dharun Ravi, suspected Tyler Clementi harrasser
(CBS/WCBS/AP) NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - The attorney for Dharun Ravi, the former Rutgers student accused of secretly spying on his roommate Tyler Clementi's same-sex romantic encounter and broadcasting it on the Internet, entered a not guilty plea on Ravi's behalf.
Clementi killed himself days after the incident.
Ravi faces 15 charges, the most serious of which could land him 10 years in prison.
It was the first court appearance for the 19-year-old. Ravi, of Plainsboro, was silent throughout the court appearance, which lasted less than 10 minutes. Clementi's parents and brother sat in the back of the courtroom for the brief hearing.
Lawyer Steven Altman entered the not guilty plea for Ravi and waived having the indictment against him read in court.
Clementi's suicide in September reignited the debate over bullying and led to a criminal investigation into whether Ravi's actions played a role in his death.
Prosecutors in Middlesex County, New Jersey said Ravi's use of a computer webcam to view Clementi's same-sex dorm room encounter amounted to bias intimidation, which is a felony.
Ravi's friend, 19-year-old Molly Wei, entered a pre-trial intervention program, and must, if asked, testify truthfully against Ravi, who faces a 15-count indictment.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles