Elizabeth Smart was not severely damaged by kidnapping, defense lawyers claim
(CBS/AP) SALT LAKE CITY - Defense attorneys for Brian David Mitchell, the man convicted of kidnapping and raping Elizabeth Smart, say she is a "survivor" and wasn't significantly psychologically damaged by her 2002 abduction.
The claim was made in a four-page court filing, in an effort to persuade a judge to give Mitchell a lighter sentence.
Attorneys for Mitchell say Smart hasn't suffered more than other victims of similar crimes.
"Even though there is extreme conduct on my client's part, Ms. Smart overcame it. Survived it. Triumphed over it. These are all words used by her and the government," said defense attorney Robert Steele to local station KSTU.
Elizabeth's father, Ed Smart, said the defense's claims are "outrageous," and clearly a legal maneuver, reports the station.
Mitchell, 56, was convicted of federal kidnapping and unlawful transportation charges in December. Smart was 14 in 2002 when she was taken from her home at knifepoint, raped and held for nine months.
Mitchell's sentencing is set for May 25 in Salt Lake City's U.S. District court. He faces life in prison.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan