Fla. chase injures deputy, kills motorcyclist, before pickup driver is captured
Investigators say Deputy Ashley Grady, a 23-year-old rookie with the Pasco County Sheriff's Department, stopped a pickup truck Tuesday morning on suspicion of DUI, reported CBS affiliate WTSP.
The driver, 21-year-old Brittany Miles, was taken out of the vehicle and placed in handcuffs, but somehow managed to get back inside and tried speeding off.
"She somehow got back in the car and drove in handcuffs until she was stopped in Hernando County," said Pasco Sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll.
At that point, the pursuit was on. Miles was speeding in a red 2002 Dodge Ram pickup, heading north on US-19.
"It was a flash, it was a blur. It just happened so fast," said witness Bonnie Thompson, who was about to witness something terrible.
Thompson heard the sirens, saw the chase.
Investigators say Miles blew through a red light and struck and killed 66-year-old Henry McCain, who was riding his motorcycle through the intersection.Finally, near the Pasco Hernando Community College, deputies stopped and arrested Miles.
The deputy was airlifted to a hospital for a head injury and scrapes, but is expected to be OK.
Miles faces a long list of charges including vehicular manslaughter, eluding, and possibly attempted murder of a police officer.
Deputies say Miles was treated for minor injuries at a local hospital. She was then booked into the Hernando County Jail. Records show Miles was arrested less than three weeks ago on possession of methamphetamine charges.
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case