"Double Initial" murder suspect Joseph Naso will represent himself, Calif. judge rules
Naso is also being investigated for possible links to New York's "Double Initial Murders" - killings in the early 1970s of three girls, each with matching initials.
In California, Marin County Superior Court Judge Andrew Sweet said Naso understood his right to waive counsel.
"I'm convinced you know what you're doing here, and that you're choosing to represent yourself voluntarily, knowingly and intelligently," Sweet said.
Naso, 77, has said he knows the case better than anyone else and didn't want to exhaust his financial resources on attorneys. He also said he was not confident meetings with attorneys in
Marin County Jail would remain confidential. The judge and district attorney assured him that they would.
After Sweet's ruling, Naso said he was not yet ready to enter a plea and requested all the district attorney's evidence related to the case.
"I live alone in a cell with no roommates. I have a lot of time on my hands and would like the opportunity to get started," he said.
Naso spoke calmly, saying he would make it his goal not to waste the court's time and to conduct himself in a respectful manner.
The four Northern California women were killed in the 1970s and 1990s. All had matching initials: Carmen Colon, Roxene Roggasch, Pamela Parsons and Tracy Tafoya.
Naso was living most recently with his 49-year-old mentally ill son near Reno, Nev., but has spent the past 13 months in jails in Nevada and California for parole violations. He was arrested last month on the California murder charges upon his release from a Lake Tahoe-area jail.
Authorities said they found an "enormous" amount of evidence while searching his home following a probation violation stemming from a theft conviction.
Prosecutors have maintained that Naso has the financial means to hire counsel, and the public defender's office has said it does not believe he would qualify for taxpayer funded counsel.
Naso said Friday that money was a factor but "low on the scale" in his choice to act as his own lawyer.
"I'm choosing not to spend my money foolishly," Naso said. "There are issues in this case I feel I must address personally."
More on Crimesider
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied