Krista Dittmeyer's body found in N.H. pond, prosecutors say
(CBS/WBZ) CONWAY, N.H. - The body of missing Maine woman Krista Dittmeyer, whose car was abandoned at a ski area with her toddler unharmed inside has been recovered from a nearby pond, prosecutors said Wednesday.
The 20-year-old Portland, Maine, mother's body was found by divers in a retaining pond about a quarter-mile from where her car was found idling Saturday in the parking lot of Cranmore Mountain ski area in Conway, a town of 10,000 people.
Senior Assistant Attorney General Jane Young said an autopsy would be done Thursday to determine the cause of Dittmeyer's death. She described the death as "suspicious," but she would not elaborate or comment on possible suspects.
A crime scene unit was seen at the pond earlier Wednesday, but police pushed media back from the area, reports CBS station WBZ.
Officers began draining ponds in the area Monday, but said at the time they had no reason to believe Dittmeyer was in one. They claimed they were removing the water to rule out any possibilities.
The father of Dittmeyer's child is serving time in prison on an unrelated matter.
According to CBS affiliate WBZ, police say Dittmeyer, who lives and works in Portland and has ties to Bridgton, Maine, last talked to family members at about 8 p.m. Friday by phone.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Conway police at 603-356-5715.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin