Tyler Clementi roommate Dharun Ravi indicted on 15 new counts
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - A New Jersey grand jury has handed down a 15-count indictment against Dharun Ravi, the former Rutgers student who allegedly webcast a same-sex sexual encounter involving his roommate Tyler Clementi, shortly before Clementi committed suicide last September.
The indictment charges Ravi with bias, invasion of privacy, witness and evidence tampering, and other charges stemming from the suicide of his 18-year-old roommate, a promising violinist.
Ravi was already facing invasion of privacy charges along with another student, Molly Wei. Lawyers for Ravi say the webcam stream was viewed only on a single computer and did not show the men having sex.
Clementi jumped off the George Washington Bridge into the Hudson River shortly after authorities say Ravi and Wei used a webcam to view his liaison.
The death of Clementi, in his first weeks at college, came amid a string of high-profile suicides of young people who were gay or perceived to be gay.
Partly because of his high-profile death and the other circumstances surrounding his suicide, Clementi became a face of the issue.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web