Match.com to screen for sex offenders
(CBS/KCBS/AP) LOS ANGELES - Online dating site Match.com says it will begin screening its users against the national sex offender registry after a woman filed a lawsuit against the company saying she had been assaulted by someone she met through the dating service.
The president of the popular website for singles, Mandy Ginsberg, said that the company has avoided screening its users for years because of the unreliability of the database, but after looking at recent improvements she has decided to start screening both current and new subscribers.
Ginsberg says the checks "remained highly flawed" in finding dangerous sex offenders. She advises users of the online dating service to not have a false sense of security because of the screenings.
The new policy comes after a California woman filed a lawsuit against the website last week, saying she was sexually assaulted by a man she met through Match.com. The woman said her attack could have been prevented if the site performed a criminal background check.
Match.com said it expected to be able to implement the policy in 60 to 90 days, reports CBS affiliate KCBS.
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Court revisits disputed 911 call in Zimmerman trial