Pregnant Ky. woman murdered, newborn kidnapped, say police
(CBS/AP/WLKY) Bowling Green, K.Y. - A southern Kentucky woman has been charged with murder and kidnapping, after a hospital reported a suspicious birth on Wednesday. Kathy Michelle Coy, 33, of Morgantown, is accused of murdering pregnant woman Jamie Stice, and kidnapping her newborn baby, authorities said Thursday.
After receiving a tip from an employee of the Medical Center at Bowling Green Wednesday afternoon, authorities found Stice's dead body in a wooded area in the Oakland community, said Kentucky State Trooper Jonathan Biven. According to Biven, police interviewed Coy at the hospital and arrested her early Thursday morning.
Police say the baby boy is recovering at Bowling Green Medical Center, reports affiliate CBS WLKY.
The nature of the crime came as a shock to Coy's neighbors. According to Darla Mueller, the entire neighborhood had thought Coy was expecting, reports WLKY.
"She has been telling everyone that she was pregnant and we had no reason not to believe otherwise," Mueller said.
Coy may be looking at the death penalty, says Warren County Commonwealth's Attorney Chris Cohron.
"Due to the possibility of this being a death penalty case, that's why she's being held without bond," Cohron told The Associated Press.
According to state police, Coy was arraigned Thursday morning and is now being held at the Warren County Jail in Bowling Green. She is due in court again on Tuesday.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call