Gay UNC student claims he was attacked, branded in hate crime
Matney said a man walked up to him last week near a foot bridge on the Chapel Hill campus, called him a derogatory name, told him, "here is a taste of hell," and held a heated object to his skin for several seconds, leaving third and fourth-degree burns.
UNC Chancellor Holden Thorp released a statement Monday, pledging that the university's public safety department "will bring the strongest possible charges against the attacker."
But Jeff Deluca, co-president of UNC's Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender and Straight Alliance, raised concerns that the university waited two days before alerting the students and the community.
"It is shock and sadness that something like this could happen on campus and go pretty much unnoticed," Deluca said.
Matney described the assault as "relentless burning, searing pain."
"It has burned all the way through the flesh and is burning through muscle and tendon," Matney said. He said he has an infection and limited movement in some fingers, and the nerve damage may require surgery.
Thorp said the assault has prompted university officials to review the way they notify the campus community about crimes. He added that he plans to call in federal authorities to assist in the hate crime investigation.
Matney is left questioning why someone would hurt him for simply being who he is.
"It just doesn't make sense to me," he said.
Deluca said he hopes the assault will bring the UNC community together, "making this campus a better, safer community."
Police are still investigating. No charges have been filed.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt