Long Island serial killer? Police expand search for bodies near beach
(CBS/WCBS/AP) OAK BEACH, N.Y. - Police plan to continue their investigation Wednesday at a remote, densely overgrown stretch of a Long Island barrier island as they expand their search for more victims of a possible serial killer.
It was also determined Tuesday that the three most recent sets of remains, which were found on April 4, were not those of New Jersey woman Shannan Gilbert, whose disappearance sparked the search that has led to the discovery of eight bodies, reports CBS affiliate WCBS.
The recently discovered remains are in addition to the remains of a victim found last week in the area, about 45 miles east of New York City. That victim has not been identified, and police have not positively connected those remains to the bodies of four prostitutes found nearby in December.
Gilbert, like the other women whose remains have been identified, advertised as a prostitute on Craigslist. She went missing in May.
Police have identified the four bodies found in December as Amber Lynn Costello, 27, originally of Wilmington, N.C.; Megan Waterman, 22, of Scarborough, Maine; Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 28, of Norwich, Conn.; and Melissa Barthelemy, 24, of Buffalo, N.Y.
Police suspect a serial killer, but so far have no suspects.
According to WCBS, police searching on foot and from above in helicopters and fire truck buckets found the latest three sets of remains as they scoured tick-infested underbrush and evergreens on the barrier island south of Long Island, Dormer said.
Investigators have searched the area, roughly 7.5 miles, several times since December.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found