Pastor Terry Jones receiving death threats after Quran burning
(CBS) - Terry Jones, the Gainesville, Fla. Pastor who burned a Quran after a mock trial that found the book guilty of crimes against humanity on March 20, is now reportedly receiving death threats for his public display.
Jones has received over 300 death
threats since the "trial." Some of them even list a specific date, time and place, Jones
told ABC News.
His torching of the Muslim holy book, which was streamed live online and promoted on Facebook, has incited deadly riots in Afghanistan.
At least 20 people were killed and many more injured as a handful of violent protests broke out in Afghanistan between Friday and Sunday, and angry crowds were heard changing "Death to Karzai" and "Death to America." Afghan president Hamid Karzai has called on Congress to condemn the burning.
Jones has said he doesn't feel directly responsible for the riots.
"The actions of breaking in, setting on fire, and killing of at least 10 individuals so far is highly unacceptable for the government of the United States," Jones said.
The FBI says Hezbollah has a $2.4 million bounty on his head, reports the network.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor