Duke lacrosse accuser Crystal Mangum charged in stabbing
(CBS/WRAL/AP) DURHAM, N.C. - Crystal Mangum, the Durham woman known for falsely accusing three Duke University lacrosse players of rape in 2006, is accused of stabbing her boyfriend early Sunday.
Mangum, 32, is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury. She is being held without bond.
Investigators believe that Mangum stabbed her 46-year-old boyfriend in the torso during a dispute, police spokeswoman Kammie Michael told CBS affiliate WRAL.
The boyfriend, whose name wasn't released by authorities, was taken to Duke University Hospital to be treated for serious injuries, while Mangum was arrested in a nearby apartment.
Police declined to comment further on the case.
Police arrested Mangum in February 2010 after an altercation between her and a different boyfriend. Police said that in that incident, she assaulted her 33-year-old boyfriend in front of her children and lit some of his clothes on fire.
She was charged with attempted murder and arson but found guilty last December of three counts of child abuse, injury to personal property and resisting a public officer. She was sentenced to 88 days in jail, which she had already served while awaiting trial.
While a student at North Carolina Central University in March 2006, Mangum worked as a stripper and performed at a party hosted by members of the Duke lacrosse team. She claimed three white players trapped her inside a bathroom and raped and sexually assaulted her.
Mike Nifong, Durham County's district attorney at the time, had the three players indicted on rape and other charges on the basis of Mangum's allegations, but the case later crumbled with her wavering in key details of her story.
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case