Staten Island woman Megan Donovan charged with statutory rape of 13-year-old boy
(CBS/WCBS) NEW YORK - A 20-year-old Staten Island woman, Megan Donovan, is charged with statutory rape after she allegedly had sex with a 13-year-old boy.
"The allegation is that there was a formal act of sex, intercourse, with someone under 14," Louis Diamond the attorney for the boy told CBS station WCBS.
The 13-year-old, who lives in the Rossville section of Staten Island, has not been identified, the station reports.
A source close to the investigation said there were text messages exchanged about what happened and that the boy bragged about it. Donovan's attorney, however, told the court that the 13-year-old has an active imagination. According to the boy, seven people were present in the house, reports the station.
Donovan's neighbors in Prince's Bay say they were shocked at the charges against her.
"She's a very nice girl. I'm very surprised to hear that," neighbor Ron Hansen told the station.
If Donovan is convicted, she would have to be registered as a sex offender. .
Donovan was released on $1,000 bond, and ordered to stay away from the child and his family, WCBS reports.
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Court revisits disputed 911 call in Zimmerman trial
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender