DJ Megatron was out to buy marijuana when murdered, says friend
(CBS/WCBS/AP) NEW YORK - Beloved Staten Island celebrity may have gone out to buy marijuana when he was killed at 2 a.m. Sunday morning.
A friend of the slain radio and TV personality, whose real name was Corey McGriff, told investigators Monday the two were chatting on the phone as the deejay went out to buy marijuana when the line went dead, likely because he'd been shot.
Police said McGriff was shot once in the chest. They are investigating whether drugs played a role in his death, but said Monday they do not believe it was a robbery.
Staten Island residents who spoke with CBS station WCBS said they were very hurt about the entire situation.
"He helped the community. He helped a lot of people as far as rappers, upcoming rappers, DJs," Leslie Heath, of Stapleton, said.
Joshua Lopez spoke highly of the slain celeb as he showed Guzman an autographed photo.
"Every time he saw me, he always said 'hi' to me - with a hug and everything," Lopez said.
His manager, Justin Kirkland, known as J. Smoove, said friends and family had no idea why anyone might have attacked the deejay known for his upbeat attitude.
Rising to the on-air ranks after starting as an intern, DJ Megatron began his career at New York's WKRS-FM, better known as Kiss FM, where deejays remembered him on the air and online Sunday.
deejay-ed for radio stations in New York, Boston and Philadelphia
before going to BET, where he hosted a segment called "What's Good" for
the TV show "106 & Park."
"He probably had one of the best personalities around super-positive, happy all the time," Kirkland told WCBS.
The father of three had also devoted his time to charitable events on Staten Island, his manager said to the station.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Official: College student faked kidnapping due to bad grade
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial