Burrito Beef: Taco Bell price hike incites 3-hour standoff, gunfire with Texas police
(CBS/KENS/AP) SAN ANTONIO - Tear gas, a gun fight with police, and a three-hour standoff may sound like a scene from the latest summer blockbuster, but it was a far from fiction Sunday when a San Antonio man apparently became enraged after he found out the price of Taco Bell's Beefy Crunch Burrito had gone from 99 cents to a whopping $1.49 each.
Brian Tillerson, a manager at the Taco Bell/KFC restaurant, told the San Antonio Express-News that the man was angry of the 50 cent inflation after ordering seven burritos from the establishment.
"They did use to be 99 cents, but that was just a promotion," Tillerson told the San Antonio Express News. "He pointed a gun at me, and he fired it. I leaned to the side and there was a pop but nothing happened."
The suspect, whose name has not been released, only had an air gun at that time but later fired an assault rifle at officers before barricading himself into a Roadway Inn hotel room, according to CBS affiliate KENS.
After a three-hour standoff, San Antonio police Sgt. Chris Benavides says officers used tear gas to force the man from the hotel room.
The man is charged with three counts of attempted capital murder.
No one was hurt during the incident.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio